By Stephanie Kirkwood Walker
A photographic background of the associated towns of Kitchener, Waterloo, and Cambridge, with photos from as early as 1880.
Read Online or Download A Waterloo County Album: Glimpses of the Way We Were PDF
Best canada books
The nationwide bestseller that tells the tale of Wolfe and Montcalm and the Plains of Abraham
In September 1759, a small band of British troops led by means of James Wolfe scaled the tall cliff overlooking a farmer’s box owned by means of Abraham Martin and overpowered the French garrison that safe the world, permitting the majority of the British military to ascend the cliff in the back of and assault the French who, led by means of Louis-Joseph Montcalm, have been principally ignorant of Wolfe’s strategies. The conflict that ensued on what might turn into often called the Plains of Abraham could perpetually form the geography and politics of Canada.
Montcalm and Wolfe, written by way of one of many best writers this kingdom has ever produced, is the epic tale of this conflict informed during the lives of the 2 generals, Wolfe and Montcalm. The booklet is a twin biography of the lads and their most renowned conflict written through a grasp storyteller. what sort of lifestyles did they've got ahead of they took up fingers? What have been the 2 males fairly like? And, most significantly, what forces introduced the 2 males to stand one another in a conflict that solid a kingdom?
Human migration figures prominently in glossy global historical past, and has performed a pivotal function in shaping the Canadian nationwide kingdom. but whereas a lot has been written approximately Canada's multicultural historical past, little consciousness has been paid to German migrants even if they compose Canada's 3rd biggest eu ethnic minority.
For millions of years, fisheries have been the most important to the sustenance of the 1st Peoples of the Pacific Coast. but human influence has left us with a woefully incomplete realizing in their histories ahead of the commercial period. protecting Alaska, British Columbia, and Puget Sound, The Archaeology of North Pacific Fisheries illustrates how the archaeological list unearths new information regarding historic methods of existence and the histories of key species.
- Lonely Planet Canada
- Vancouver & Victoria
- The mosquitoes of Canada: Diptera, Culicidae (The Insects and arachnids of Canada)
- Alberta Bestiary: Animals Of The Rolling Hills
- Once Upon a Time (Inspector Green Mystery Series, Book 2)
- Temporary Work: The Gendered Rise of a Precarious Employment Relationship (Studies in Comparative Political Economy and Public Policy)
Additional info for A Waterloo County Album: Glimpses of the Way We Were
During these journeys, God often delivered us from great and very conspicuous dangers; but, although we ought always to bear them in mind, that we may not be ungrateful, there is no need of setting them all down upon paper, lest we become wearisome. I shall relate only what, in my opinion, will be the most interesting. We went to see the Malouins; namely, Sieur du Pont, the younger, and captain Merveilles, who, as we have said, were wintering at St. John river, upon an island called Emenenic, some six leagues up the river: We were still one league and a half from the island when the twilight ended and night came on.
4. A Letter Missive in regard to the Conversion and Baptism of the Grand Sagamore of New France, Who was, Before the Arrival of the French, Its Chief Sovereign SOURCE: Ruben Gold Thwaites, The Jesuit Relations and allied documents. Vol. 1 (Cleveland: The Burrows Brother, 1896-1901), pp. 121-123. Sir and Brother, I did not wish the ship to depart without giving you some news of this country which I believe will be acceptable, as I know that you are a good Catholic. The Grand Sagamore, whom we call in our language Grand Captain of the Savages, and chief of all, was baptized on last saint John the Baptist's day, with his wife, children, and children's children, to the number of twenty; with as much enthusiasm, fervor, and zeal for Religion as would have been evidenced by a person who had been instructed in it for three or four years.
One of the men then went to the shore for some fir tree boughs to cover the body, which measured as it lay, 6 feet IVi inches. The fellow who first stabbed him wanted to strip off his cossack, (a garment made of deer skin, lined with beaver and other skins, reaching to the knees), but met with so stern a rebuke from , that he instantly desisted, and slunk abashed away. After covering the body with boughs, we proceeded towards the Indian houses-the woman often required force to take her along. On examining them, we found no living creature, save a bitch and her whelps, about two months old.
A Waterloo County Album: Glimpses of the Way We Were by Stephanie Kirkwood Walker